FASTag is a passive tag that helps the vehicle owners to make the toll payment directly thus preventing the user to stand in the long queue thus saving their time.
Here is the description of how the FASTag works:
- As the vehicle passes through the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) lane of the Toll Plaza, the FASTag details like Tag ID, Vehicle Class, TID, etc will be captured and send to the corresponding registered bank for processing.
- The bank then sends the request to the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) mapper to validate the details of the tag.
- On validation, NETC mapper will respond with the details like Tag Status, Vehicle class, VRN, etc. In case, the Tag ID is not present in the NETC mapper it will be responded as the unregistered Tag ID.
- The vehicle host will calculate the toll fare and initiate the request to debit the calculated amount to the NETC system after validation.
- NETC switch the debit request to the respective bank that issued the FASTag to place the request to debit the amount from the customer account or wallet.
- The issuer host debits the account of the tag holder and sends the alert to the holder about the debit through SMS. Also, the issuer bank will send the response message to the NETC system. If the response is not within the defined TAT, the transaction will be considered to be Deemed Accepted.
- NETC will then send the notification of response to the acquirer host.
- At last, the acquirer host will notify the respective toll plaza system.